Dunton Family Burial Ground
Project Page


[ Introduction ] [ Virtual Cemetery ] [ Click here for the next page ]

March 26, 2013

Site staked out for utility locator service.

April 12, 2013 - Coop move day. Cousin Steve Axmaker and his friend Steve Berg, along with John and I, got the coop shored up underneath with skids and bracing. Using the skidster, Steve's truck and my Mahindra, we got the new site leveled, the coop moved up into place, leveled and a bit of the road grading done.

Before Steve starting to create the new coop location.
Strapping at the top and using the Mahindra to steady and keep from tipping over. Coop in place and cleanup started.
Where the coop was. Clean up After
Coop in place and rough leveled. After it settles for a few weeks, we will re-level.

April 16, 2013 - George Zweifel arrived with two loads of large, "pit run" rock to fill the hole in the hillside and to start building the base of the road. Steve arrived with his Case skidster and got to work. By the end of the day he had the roadbed built and was ready for smaller gravel.


April 17, 2013 - It took a total of three loads of large rock, one load of 3-1/2 inch minus and two loads of 1-1/2 inch minus, plus a few hours of expert machine work, and the access road down to the bottom field and loafing barn that I have been planning for decades is finally here! It is steep, but functional. After Steve finished, he still had a couple of hours so he started on excavating the mausoleum site.


April 18, 2013 - Roughing out the site.


April 23, 2013 - Site excavation.

April 25, 2013 - Site excavation.

April 26, 2013 - Site excavation.

April 27, 2013 - Site excavation.

In this interim period, we basically waited on the building department to review plans and then meet additional requirements. The first requirement placed on me by the soils department had nothing to do with the project but purely one based on them deciding to exert their authority and power over us in this situation to get documentation on the farm's septic system. I hired a system installer to come out and document the system and file it with the county.

The next step was that the engineer wanted all of the load calculations written out longhand. I am not sure why an underground structure needed snow load and wind calculations, but we paid a firm in Salem $680 to do the work. He also wanted detailed drawings on the crypt drainage / venting systems, seals, etc. We turned that in and waited.

After a week or so he came back and wanted more calculations, the drawings resubmitted on 11" X 17" paper, and for me to hire a private inspection firm to pre-inspect and approve the work prior to the county inspectors. This added to my already high level of stress and I needed answers. I emailed him and emphasized that this was not a structure that anyone would ever be "living" in and that with my mother's condition, I was under a time constraint as well as a budgetary limit. I flat out asked why I needed all of this extra expense.

He responded by calling Steve and saying that he had received my email, that he called our engineer. They worked out that the additional calculations were not necessary since it was an underground structure, that the engineering firm said that they would do the requisite drawings at no additional cost, and that I did not need to hire the private inspectors. Furthermore, he said that if we showed up the following day at 1:00 p.m. (May 1), he would review the new drawings and we would walk out with a permit! Now we can finally get going.

May 2, 2013 - Building access and graveling the pad.


May 3, 2013 - Forming up the foundation and floor slab.


May 6, 2013 - Ronnie (from Steve's old crew that worked on the house siding and seedhouse construction) arrived at 0815. Steve got there shortly after and they began working on the iron work for the foundation and slab pour. Steve left at about 1400 and Ronnie at 1530.


May 7, 2013 - Steve came solo today to finish up the rebar work that he and mostly Ronnie worked on the day before. I went down and helped him for an hour in the morning tie pieces and install spacers.

He wasn't feeling well so left about 1500. The inspector was scheduled so I said I would hang around and meet with him. He got there, started looking, and failed it because it did not follow the engineering plan exactly.

I called Steve as he needs to get it corrected and then re-inspected. He had a concrete truck and pour schedule for 1000 tomorrow.

May 8, 2013 - Steve arrived with a crew this morning. It was Ronnie and two other employees of Nate. The got to town and worked rebar from about 0900 to 1430. Steve let me know that he called and the inspector was due out tomorrow for a re-inspection and if that passes, pour will happen on Friday.

May 9, 2013 - No work today on the project. Inspector got here are about noon and passed it.

May 10, 2013 - Steve arrived at 0900 and got the drain plumbing installed. The concrete pumper got here at about noon, got set up, and was ready for the concrete truck that got here at 1230. They started pumping the footing and then Ronnie and two other guys got here. They got all of the concrete poured and pumper and concrete truck left about 1400 with everyone else finishing up and leaving about 1530.

May 11, 2013 - No work today by the crew. I worked on site clean up and working on the roads.

May 13, 2013 - No work today.

May 14, 2013 - Josh and Steve hauled forms in today.

May 15, 2013 - Steve hauled rebar in today.

May 16, 2013 - Josh and Steve worked on forming up the walls. Received all of the vents, crypt screens, crypt sealers, pipes, and brass pieces from C. A. Joseph Co., Inc. of E. Liverpool, Ohio.


Click here for the next page.



[ Dunton Family Organization ] [ Dunton Family Farm ]