Victory Seed Company

Home Page

About Us

Our Business

Farm Work Pics

Our History

Virtual Farm Tour

Interesting Plants

What's in Bloom

Favorite Links

Contact Us

Click for Heirloom Tomato Seed Selection

Save Seeds - Victory Horticultural Library

matersearch.com - online tomato resources

A history of International Harvester and our farm's tractors.

Welcome to Dunton Family Farms
Since 1909

Home of the Victory Seed Company


Chicken Coop
Summer 2007 - Summer 2008 - Summer 2009

September 13, 2008 - We tarped up the platform that we finished last summer and there it sat.  I used two tarps so thought that it would be fine.  However, by the time I was able to get back to this project, today, when I unwrapped it, there was moisture and it looked like some of the doors I used had swollen up.  After looking at them carefully, I decided to go ahead and not replace them.  It is a chicken coop for Pete's sake!

Today was literally the first day all summer that I was able to get out of the office and work on a project.  It took me about two hours to set up the site - locate tools, set up power, compressor, organize lumber and untarp - and then about 30 minutes to look through my old window and door supply and come up with a designed based on what I had available.

Facing NE
The framed window opening is for an old garden window I had.

Facing East
The far wall in the picture is framed for a sliding glass door.  The closest wall still needs to be framed for the door.

Facing SE
I do not have a suitable window for this wall yet. I may just use a fixed glass window and rely on the garden widow and sliding glass door for summer air circulation.

My goal this day was to have the four walls framed.  I came very close.


September 14, 2008 - I got a little more framing done today.  Mainly worked at finishing up the walls, starting on the roosts and nesting boxes, thinking about the design, and coming up with a materials list for the lumber yard tomorrow.


The site at 0800

Working on framing

 

September 15, 2008 - Since it was Monday, I was only able to get out of the office for a few hours.  I did get up to the lumber yard and started laying out and framing the roof.


September 16, 2008 - Got about three hours in on this job today.  Basically got the roof framed and started figuring out the siding.


September 17, 2008 - I got a few more hours put in today.  John helped me haul and install the sliding glass door and the greenhouse window.


September 20, 2008 - Yesterday and today I got some more time to work on the coop.  Concentrated on siding but also got the decks for under the roosts built.  Underneath these will serve as the nests.


September 21, 2008 - I started setting up to install the roof and got the metal all cut to length. John installed the poly underlayment and then we got the metal on.

We covered the various access doors temporarily until I can get doors built and then got the main door installed. Tomorrow or the next day I need to buy some boards to make into bats and a metal cap for the roof ridge.

   

October 1, 2008 - Worked on getting the south end of the chicken coop buttoned up, the last bits of the roof on, and the roof ridge cap installed. Cool thing about the roof is that it was all salvage. The metal was from the wrap pieces that the building metal came in and the ridge cap was material that I think Grandpa stashed in the back of the machine shed.   It was nearly dark when we finished up and got everything picked up.


October 2, 2008 - Took a "field trip" off of the farm today with Dad.  He drove me over to the Yoder Sawmill to buy a bunch of lumber for bats.  It was a lot cheaper than going to the lumber yard and is it a full dimension lumber so I can bandsaw it to double the quantity.


October 29, 2008 - After quite some time away from the project, I finally got a bit of time carved out to work on the coop.  The weather was great today and in two days, a storm is predicted.  So it was time to button up some of the big gaping holes.  I used tarpaper to seal up the north gable end (for now) and set up the table saw and chop saw in the old machine shed, scrounged up some lumber, and made all of other missing siding pieces.  I am not sure when I will find more time to finish this up and get it operational.

   

 [ Back to 2007 ]  [ To 2009 ]


Copyright 1996 - 2018 by Dunton Family Farm