This project has been
neglected since 2007. I constantly think how
it would transform the farm to have a perimeter
screen of trees planted. However, resources
just never seem to be available.
4/11/11 - I ran across an
ad in The Capital Press for a nursery selling ten to twelve foot
Pines. I called and got some prices.
Because of their size, the cost per tree to have them installed was about
$100 each. There is no way I can justify or
afford planting the numbers necessary to form an effective screen.
4/17/11 - After much thought,
and after getting our tax work done, I decided that we could afford to
have ten of these large trees installed. In the meantime, I ordered 200, two
foot seedlings from a wholesale nursery. I will pot them up and then get
them planted this fall after tilling and prepping the planting area.
4/19/11 - Change of plans!
I called and the nurseryman to find out about installing the ten trees. This was the number that I decided we
could fit into the budget and the minimum number necessary to screen from
the entry to just past the seedhouse. My timing was excellent.
told me that he had just paid to dig out a large order for a customer in
Colorado and after he got them out of the ground and balled up yesterday, the person
canceled. So instead of ten trees, it sounds like I am getting fifty trees delivered and
installed. He will come by in the morning and we will work out the
details. My work will then be getting water out to them and keeping
them watered through the summer and into the the fall when the rain starts
4/20/11 - I met with the
nurseryman, Mel, at 9 a.m. and he told me what I needed to do in
preparation of them coming to plant. I thought he was talking about
later in the week but he said, "No, no. Right now." He said
that he was getting the crew together, the trailer loaded, and would be
back by noon. So Dad and I got busy and got the site prepared and
stakes in the ground.