3/11/05 - Grill was taken off, dents pounded out,
cleaned up, primed, painted and a new eBay purchased logo installed.
3/11/05 - muddy and
dirty from tilling. Dad took care of a couple
of minor repairs. Replaced a sheared bolt on
the front axel, replaced a tire and rim.
Painted the from rims and replaced the clevis pins on the
3/27/06 - Last fall I bought a truckload of crushed
rock from a cousin. As he pulled into the
barnyard he recognized the old tractor as it was
from his side of the family. Anyway, he said,
"There are a set of forks for the tractor up at
the old homestead behind the skidder." Dad
was playing at a family poker game with the cousin's
dad and mentioned it. He said we should call
another cousin as she was handling all of the estate
that I bought the tractor from. She is the one
I bought the tractor from in the first place. She said that we were welcome to go up there with
her and if it was there, we could have it.
enough, it was there, buried in the back of a barn, akwardly shaped, and heavy. I was not gonna
waste the 20 mile drive into the mountains and
determined to get it out of there. Dad and the
cousin were leaning towards coming up on a weekend
and getting the skidder running and out of the way. It was heavy and none of us needed to blow out a
back so I was just about to give up when I saw an
old rusty bolt. We scrounged up a wrench, some
WD-40, and I got it apart into two pieces. I
am guessing that each half was close to 100 pounds
each. Anyway, got it home, as seen in the
5/28/06 - Dad
had worked on replacing the batteries (as well as
all of the battery cables and connectors) on the old IH-606D so it now
fires right up, is easy to get moving, and is handy
to use. I used it to turn a job that literally
would have taken us days with shovels and wheel
barrows, into a couple hour job. Click here for the project page.
Oops . . . I was hauling piles of dirt from spots around
the gardens to various locations that needed filling in
and the left steering arm snapped in half. As you
can see in the picture, it was cracked about in half for
time. I called
Ag-West in Woodburn
(the local IH dealer) and the guy said that they had one
but the cost was $815! I told him that I could
find one new online for between $97 and $147. He
said that he would talk to management and call me back. He did. $415. So, I just took it up to
Peterkin in Molalla and he said he could fix it for me
and have it done tomorrow.
are some of the places I found one and what it is supposed
to look like when new:
5/29/09 - As promised,
Peterkin had it all fixed up. He basically copied the
work that had been done to the bottom part of the arm at a
previous time. Maybe this winter, I will pop the right
one off and have him beef it up as well. He charged me
I got home,
wired brushed it up, painted it red with Rustoleum paint,
waited for it to dry, got it installed, dumped the load of
dirt that was in the loader, and parked it for the night. I used it the rest of the weekend moving dirt piles.
8/23/12 - Just a quick update. In the spring
of 2010 I was using the tractor to till and it was just
bogging down and dying something awful. It just
did not have the power I was use to. I am assuming
that it is a fuel filter issue (at least hoping that
is all that it is) but after getting the fields
cultivated, I parked it. That fall (2010), I
bought the new Mahindra and that became my go to
tractor. I tried using the 606 for fall garden
clean up (since the loader is so much bigger) but it
just was not worth it. So it has been sitting in
the shed ever since. Time to get it out, cleaned
up, serviced, and ready for fall garden cleanup.
4/1/18 - Well, in the six years since the last
entry, the old girl never did get out of the shed as
hoped back in 2012. The 606D sat and started a typical
disentigration path for machinery. Fluids seaped in
places and attracted a build up of dust and dirt. The
seat, already long passed its functional life, became
horribly unuseable. And probably the worst issues was
that one of the rear tires rotted out and the caustic
ballast liquid leaked all over, severely rusting the rim
and many bolts. This basically turned the tractor into a
couple of thousand pounds of immovable iron!
year I started working on getting rid of projects I
never would get to in my lifetime and working on
servicing and repairing equipment we need available.
figured that the 606D would not be worth the time and
money but decided to hire my mechanic cousin to see if
he could get the engine to run. Two new batteries, two
new fuel filters, some fresh diesel, and a couple of
hours and it was purring!!!
made the decision to revive the tractor so easy.
here for the 2018 "Revival" project page.